Thread: Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG tmm

mk-e-mk

Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG tmm

Has anyone built the 2.5 way version of this yet? I am very interested in trying it, just wondering if anyone has already attempted it. I know Zaph posted his x-over design for the tmm design, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have a copy of it? Tnanks

Dave Bullet

RE: Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG tmm

I didn't built it. I moved onto a 3 way using the L26/L15 and either TBFCG or TDFCG tweeters. I have a copy of Zaph's schematic. I am reluctant to just post it without John's permission. Zaph posted a key cavaet. He never built and listened to it, so it is a user beware one. I think he was also unhappy at the component count.

The average sensitivity looks about 87dB.

As Dave mentions, I wouldn't recommend building that. When I do a design, I toy around with a lot of different topologies before deciding which to proceed with. The 2.5 way TMM was one that did not make the cut.

Dave, thanks for checking with me - please don't distribute. I'm generally a bit uncomfortable having build my designs that have not been fully tested or tweaked.

John Krutke
    www.zaphaudio.com

mk-e-mk

Thanks for the information, I guess its not a good idea for my first project to be an untested one. I think I am gonna try the TM version, but I have a question. I mostly listen to 2 channel, but it also serves as a HT. I remember reading you didn't design an MTM version as a center channel for lobing issues. Would one of the TM flipped on its side sound awful. I don't have the room to stand it upright above or below my TV.

The TM flipped on it's side is still not really optimum since the vertical lobing (which becomes horizontal) favors on or above the tweeter axis. Those sitting off axis on the woofer side will have a dip near the crossover frequency, resulting in unclear dialog.

You could try this one for the center channel:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/L18-27...LR4-studio.gif

It's a lower crossover point with less baffle step compensation and wider symmetrical lobing when laid on it's side. This was previous made for one client's near field studio arrangement, but it would be perfect for "laid on side" center channel use also.

As always, since this is not an "official" Zaph Audio release, the normal disclaimers apply and I ask that you don't distribute it after the link becomes unavailable.

I will not be back to this post to reply any further, so good luck with the build.

mk-e-mk

Thanks for all your help!