Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarity SA vs Sonicap Capacitors

Forum regular

RE: Clarity SA vs Sonicap Capacitors

Daryl

The Clarity's and the Sonicaps are overpriced snake oil.

All film capacitors achieve a level of performance so high you cannot hear or measure the difference in a speaker crossover.

The article linked above was nothing more than a fool masturebating in public (looks like he spent the better part of a month doing so).

Listening tests are highly impressionistic and unless strictly controlled will cause you to imagine things that are not there.

The cheapest film caps you can find will be the best, Solen, Dayton, etc.

BrianP

I've never been a cap (or wire) cultist, though I'm willing to concede that, with an extremely hi-rez tweeter, some sharp-eared folks might be able to hear a difference. Generally I look for the tightest tolerance and a high voltage rating. The Dayton 1% tolerance caps look pretty good for a reasonable price.

ronaldJ

I have used the Dayton 1 percent tolerance caps before with a Vifa D27TG45 tweeter and found their performance to be very good.Imaging and depth were outstanding. Since my next project will be using the same tweeter, I was wondering if going with either the Clarity SA or the Sonicaps would make enough noticeable improvement to justify the extra cost or would I be better off to just use the Dayton's or Solens?

BrianP

I have used the Dayton 1 percent tolerance caps before with a Vifa D27TG45 tweeter and found their performance to be very good.Imaging and depth were outstanding. Since my next project will be using the same tweeter, I was wondering if going with either the Clarity SA or the Sonicaps would make enough noticeable improvement to justify the extra cost or would I be better off to just use the Dayton's or Solens?

I'd guess probably not, but if you want to try . . . all true knowledge comes from direct experience. MAYBE you'll hear an infinitessimal difference, or at least believe you do (placebo effect). Now, if cost was no object and you were using a Revelator tweeter, you could probably justify the expense of boutique caps. Just like you wouldn't put cheap parts in a fine European sports car.

Forum elder

I cant agree with daryls response, but I would say that capacitor choice is over rated.

There is a differnce between the capacitor brands and a measureable one also. Any difference is alway minute though, not as described by some of the reviews you might read.

To me, any time you have to spend as much money on a capacitor as you did on your tweeter, there is a problem. Taking that extra $$ and putting it into a better tweeter will get you much more performance for your $.

Also, keep in mind, since tolernances vary by 1-10%, if you purchase one brand and lets say it measured 10.9uf, and then you purchase another brand and it measures 9.1uf......you will be making sonic choices on the differnce in value, not so much as the differnce in build. Unless you have very good equipment to get you accurate measurements of these caps, making sure they are exactly the same value, your analysis of the difference in sound from capacitor to capacitor will not be a very good one.

Forum elder

I happened to compare the Daytons to the Sonicaps in my last project. The sonicaps are better.....whether they are better enough to justify the price, that depends on your taste and budget.

I used the cap in a system with a BG plannar tweeter. I used a single capacitor, not coils no resistors on this tweeter, so it was easy to identify if there is a difference or not.

The sonicap was cleaner and less hash/grain. Moslty I noticed the reduced grain in the sonicap as compared to the dayton.

Hope that helps.

ronaldJ

Thanks for your input regarding your experience with Dayton and Sonicap capicitors. My experience with the Daytons was similar in that I thought they were very good capacitors but still a little bit rough and edgy. Between Dayton and Solen, I think the Solens are smoother and cleaner sounding than the Daytons.

dBe

Once in a while...

I drop in to see why I dropped out.

Sorry to see that you are still deaf.

Dave, gone again

AJinFLA

RE: Once in a while...

>I drop in to see why I dropped out.
    >

>Dave, gone again

You dropped out of your treatment program? That can't be good.
    Have your delusions worsened? Is there anything you *can't* hear now?

cheers,

AJ