Thread: Help with project selection: Tough parameters

Forum member

Help with project selection: Tough parameters

I asking for help with a speaker project selection as I cant find one will suite my situation, or WAF
    I have a room approximately 20x30 with the speakers being placed on built in cabinets, not bookshelf, along the short wall, they can only be about 1 foot from the wall at the most and will be flanking a large flat screen TV.
    They will be driven by a 45 tube amp with 2.5 wpc. SO SENSITIVITY IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
    I almost purchased the Audio Note AN-E speaker kit but too much $$. They have a fairly large cabinet 31x14x10 that I can just accommodate.
    I don't listen very loudly but full range is important, of course.
    I was also looking at the Quatrro:
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/QUATTRO.htm
    but I think I can accommodate a larger cabinet than this and possibly get a higher sensitivity a deeper bottom end.

Thank you for any suggestions or advise.

Well, to start with, what are you looking at for expenditure? Kits may be the way to go. There are some nice ones here at madisound or you can also take a look at the kits www.parts-express.com has to offer..Scifi

Forum admin
    At 2.5 wpc, I am a bit concerned with anything not horn loaded. Klipsch Horns were my first thought, but talk about room and wallet killers. I have a small rig with 16 wpc, driving Zaphs. Room size 16x 18 and it's a nice bedroom stereo....but not my critical listening room.

I will be interested to see what other suggestions come in.

Forum member
    4 Pi? 98db and 8 ohm, 15" woofer. Depending on your budget you should go with the driver upgrades available.

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id/108

Forum member
    Thanks for the replies.
    My budget is below $1200. Hopefully way below. Cabinet building is not a problem as long as I have some plans.
    I looked at the Pi speakers. Prices are right although, please convince me that horns do not sound like someone speaking into a tin can. I have not heard a horn speaker in 25 years. I did not like them then, it was extremely bright and harsh and really echoey. Maybe they've come along sonically. I have shyed away from horns for that reason but others seem to like them.
    Also, looking at the Zaphs, they are recommended being out into the room away from the wall further than I can do, as they will be placed on a built in cabinet.

Forum member
    The higher end horn designs dont have that problem, and the B&C compression driver upgrade is reportedly extremely smooth. You can ask on the Pi forum and get a response directly from the designer/owner Wayne Parham.