PDA

View Full Version : A new Speaker company from the team that developed the Scan speak Revelator Line!

SBACOUSTICS
09-14-2007, 12:48 AM
I want to take the time to introduce to you a NEW Speaker company. MY name is David Stephens, some of you know who I am. For those of you who do not. I was VP and director of Sales and marketing for VIFA and Scan~Speak in North America from 1995-2003. During the past few years I have been working in other areas of the industry. but with the recent events in the industry the loss of "Vifa" My former Vifa and Scan collueges decided start a new venture,

Scandinavian Audio Research (SCAR for short).

This Team consists of
Lars Goller (former Director of engineering, and designer of the revelator and SD series patents)
Ulrik Schmidt (Former Senior engineer)
Frank Neilsen (Former Senior Mechanical engineer)
Along with Benny Frank Pedersen, Alan Hydel Jensen, myself and Torben Sondergaard (former President of Scan~Speak)

our first full productic line to be sold under the name of
SB Acoustic and will debut at Madisound and other select distributors by december 07.

the Line will consist of
1" soft dome tweeter
5" Midwoofer
6" Midwoofer
10" Woofer
12" woofer
15" woofer

every single part of these products where developed from scratch over the past year. incuding a new and propritary cone mixure, fully optmised, low distortion magnet systems, suspensions. and a very trick new chassis design.

we will shortly add to the line a 4" and 8" woofer.

During this years 2008 CES Scandinavain Audio Research will debut a completely new developement in High perfomance cost no object Tweeters, Mids and woofers.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss any of the new products let me know. I will be working closely with the distributors to promote the succsessful lauch of these new products!

Best Regards

David A Stephens
Director
SB ACOUSTICS
www.SBACOUSTICS.com

philipma1957
09-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi David , First off good luck with this venture. Second when will specs be available? I see that the product will come out in Dec. , but in my chase for bass I am interested in the 10" , 12" and 15" woofers. Thank you for your posting. Phil

DJJ
09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
David,

Nice to see you back in the business again. Looking forward to seeing the new products at Madisound and what you will be debuting at CES '08. With people like Lars involved in the design, I am sure the new drivers will be great.

kind regards,

Dennis Jarchow

SBACOUSTICS
09-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Phil

I will publish premliminary spec's on the site (www.sbacoustics.com) in the next week.

I would first like to comment that these are truly hifi woofers and are ideal for 3 way designs. They will work as subwoofers but are trimmed acoustical like a Scan driver.

I m sure you will like them

SBACOUSTICS
09-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Dennis It is good to Be back!

tf1216
09-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Have you guys considered how you will introduce your new line of drivers? I realize posting on Madisound is a great place to start but will you be sending samples out for testing, are there kits, will any commercial speakers be using your drivers?

Would you mind if we spread the word about your new company onto other forums out there?

I wish you all the best of luck,
Tyler

SBACOUSTICS
09-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Tyler thank you and yes!

Spread the news, all are welcome

we will be advertising through that typical channel and are working some promotions on the drivers. to get everyone opportunity to at least see the line. I will be giving out much more detail on the products very soon.

As far as kits go!I want to put it up for discussion! would you like to entertain a KIT Contest or is the Community more interested in Professionally designed kits? I have typically held off designing kits inhouse while I was at Danish sound technologies for fear we may be interfering with the DIYers creativity. I have always been amazed at the the DIY market and the truly unique combinations they have come up with, So basically I want to do what is best for the whole communumity and ScAR. Feel free to comment on this as we thrive on feedback.

I have been working very closley with many of the OEM customers however; they are held top secret (HINT, Look for the new chassis)

thanks Again, looking forward to meeting you someday

DJJ
09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
David,

In your post you mentioned the loss of Vifa. Are the initial offerings targeted to that price point/performance level or will these be positioned as alternatives for the Scan Speak and the higher end Seas products?

Thanks again and kind regards,

Dennis

PS Please no yellow cones this time around :)

SBACOUSTICS
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I appologise for using the Vifa name. AS many of you know Tymphany decided to Let the Vifa Brand go. As a long time fan of Vifa I felt it offered the best value for the HIFI buck and was sadden to see it go. especially after the years associated with Great people of Videbaek, Denmark.

That being said. I have not specifically targeted any one Brand or company in creating the Sb line of products. The target prices on the SB line will be announced shortly but they are intended to be in the more affordable catagory, without sacrifing sound quality for price point.

Our design goals focused on the ScAR philosophy's about distortion and resonance control. do we compete with the higher end offerings in the industry. I hope so, But there are some very good products out there and I do not wish to disrespect any of them. ScAR and SB Acoustics are wish only an opportunity.

We have poured our hearts and souls into creating this new line, and we feel it is very capable. We strive to learn from what we have done in the past and to make improvements where possible.

and no yellow Cones this time. :-) at least until needed.

Kind regards

Andy_G
09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I guess you wouldn't be using the Tymphany distributors ? (if not , probably means we miss out down here...Australia... again !!)

How do you see your prices stacking up against the current Tymphany speakers, up with the ScanSpeak price or nearer the Peerless price?

Have you looked at doing some higher spl drivers? I think there would be a fair deal of interest if you could come up with some higher spl drivers which had reasonably flat frequency response, and nice smooth roll-off.

While I congratulate you guys for doing this, and hope you do really well, I think you need to avoid doing "more of the same".

SBACOUSTICS
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
HI Andy and thank you.

you will be pleased to see the next line of products from SB due out first quorted of 08. with much high spl in mind. and do not worry about doing the same thing. we are aiming at a much broader target this time. as I stated earlier the price's will be annouced shortly but be assured they are resonable and very affordable.

NO FEAR MATE, Australia is already in the works.

jkrutke
09-14-2007, 09:16 PM
>That being said. I have not specifically targeted any one
>Brand or company in creating the Sb line of products. The
>target prices on the SB line will be announced shortly but
>they are intended to be in the more affordable catagory,
>without sacrifing sound quality for price point.

The Revelator woofers are pretty much the best I've worked with. Smooth response, low distortion. Unfortunately, the Revelators were priced out of reach for many DIY'ers. I'm looking forward to seeing what your team can create, especially if you could give us that kind of performance at a lower price.

Andy_G
09-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks, that's all very nice to know, particularly if you are looking after us down-under !!

I like to use really simple low order cross-overs, so please, none of those peaky breakup modes ;-))

Mark K
09-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi David,

Thanks for the heads up. Always nice to have more high quality drivers to look at. John Krutke and I are always looking for drivers to test.

Mark K

www.markk.claub.net

www.zaphaudio.com

AJinFLA
09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi David,

Congrats. Another choice is a great benefit for DIY.
Any future plans for a variety of cone materials ala SEAS?
A coaxial mid-tweeter?

cheers

-AJ

SBACOUSTICS
09-15-2007, 12:43 PM
we at this time have No plans for a Coax like the SEAS unit.

as far as cone materials go, we have developed our own cone mixture. (nice thing to have our own cone making facility) but we tend to stay clear of metal cone. just our prefence's lean more tward long fiber type cones. we have another cone material that will debut with the 15" and 18" woofers we are finishing now.

Ling Gowa
09-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure I like the "cost no object" part.

SBACOUSTICS
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
the cost no object is not this first SB Line. Again the initial offering will be affordable.

the cost no object line will not debut until CES 2008.you will understand why it is expensive when you see it.

i will post information on this and other sites the night before we debut the line at CES. We are filing patents as we Type. garunteed to be cool.

Richard
09-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Just looking through the SBAcoustic web, i've seen some familar chassis on some commercial speakers. I forget which, but does SBAcoustics manufacture a woven carbon fibre design mid/woofer for its OEM customers by any chance.

Cheers

tktran
09-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Will your products be Made in China?

regards,
Thanh.

jonasz
09-16-2007, 03:44 AM
These chassis looks to me pretty much the same as ScARs.
http://www.hifiklubben.se/produkter/hoegtalare/subbas/bw_asw825_subbas_svart.htm#

Btw, will the drivers be called ScAR or SB Acoustic? Personally I like ScAR the best, sounds a little cooler... ;-)

SBACOUSTICS
09-16-2007, 08:19 AM
yes you may. we are in production with several OEMS, now

SBACOUSTICS
09-16-2007, 08:22 AM
>Hello,
>
>Will your products be Made in China?
>
>regards,
>Thanh.

They will not be built in China!

SBACOUSTICS
09-16-2007, 08:37 AM
NO. not B&W.

I can confirm that.

WE will Sell under both names but it will be. I will start a New Link describing the new lines shortly and why the 2 Brands. SCANDINAVIAN Audio Research. and SB Acoustics.

they are very differnt. but in some ways not too different.

tktran
09-17-2007, 07:17 AM
>>Hello,
>>
>>Will your products be Made in China?
>>
>>regards,
>>Thanh.
>
>They will not be built in China!

I look forward to the seeing the release of your products.

Thanh.

Ling Gowa
09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I think some of your colleagues are working for Wavecor. Allan Isaksen and Per Madsen.

SBACOUSTICS
09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
>I think some of your colleagues are working for Wavecor.
>Allan Isaksen and Per Madsen.

Yes former colleagues. They are doing there own line of products. We wish them well but they are not involved in this venture.

Andy_G
09-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Oddly, I can actually get Wavecor down here.. any idea if their drivers are any good ??

SBACOUSTICS
09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
I have never tried them myself but both Allan and Per are capable engineers. so my guess is they are ok.

Richard
09-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Maybe im wrong, or even very far off the mark. But i thought it may have been the those Denon SC-CX303 speakers that i seen in a magazine. Maybe its funny enough to laugh at, or i could be right ;)

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/src/popupmen/popup_men_11.gif

Richard
09-18-2007, 03:58 AM
http://www.denon.de/site/datadir/gr/1_gr_ms_SCCX303_inside5.jpg

AJinFLA
09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your answer.
FYI, the SEAS unit is not a mid/tweeter, it's a woofer/tweeter.
I'll keep an eye out for your 15's & 18's.

cheers,

AJ

VEC
09-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi.

They will have some line of audio professional? like Eminence.

Distributors in Southamerica? Where?

Very good luck!!

Victor Espinoza

SBACOUSTICS
09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Definetly no. this chasis i belive is made of plastic. ours is cast alumium. and no woven cones.

SBACOUSTICS
09-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I am looking for a distributor in South America now any suggestions? have them contact me.

and Pro? you may be in for a surprise and that is how I will leave that!

Ling Gowa
09-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Will you have Canadian representation or do we have to go through the pain of importing from the USA?

Todd O
09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
The revelator series of drivers are excellent. Performance for the price is also reasonable. We have developed prototype drivers using very different motor topologies and there are definitely more performance improvements to be had but unfortunately these types of motors are difficult to manufacture. Designing a driver like the revelators is not a trivial undertaking and is the culmination of years of experience. If there were only more hours in the day..... Best of luck to you David; we look forward to your products.

Todd Oiesen
www.oaudio.com

scottholden
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Welcome back to loudspeaker land David! I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with in the near future.

I was wondering what happened to you, and it had been a few years. Best of luck!

Scott Holden

send me your contact info when you get a chance - email to scotth@rane.com

vasyachkin
10-27-2007, 01:28 AM
great news

but SCAR is an ugly name, seriously ...

i would reconsider it if i were you ...

"focused on the past" FOR F*CKS SAKE ! promotion is more important than the actual product (ask BOSE if you dont believe me) and i cannot possibly imagine you doing a WORSE job at promoting your product than calling yourself SCAR and saying that you FOCUS ON THE PAST

also your speakers look disturbingly plain. nobody buys high end speakers for sound, they buy em for looks. now the sliced paper cones and the ring radiator with that spike in the middle was some genius design - because it looked HOT.

speakers have to look like jewelry from any angle AND the description has to be poetry.

otherwise you're screwed.

maybe if im in a good mood ill let you hire me as your CEO cuz it doesnt seem like your company has any vision ...

Ling Gowa
10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
It looks like Solen is getting ready to launch.
http://www.solen.ca/

Ling Gowa
11-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I hope there is more on the way.

Andy_G
11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Disappointed.:-(

I like to use simple 1st order x-os, but with the big bumps happening on the 5" and 6" starting around 4k, no way.

Oh Well :-(

Ling Gowa
11-06-2007, 07:59 PM
I have to agree. I don't see anything special here. Real disapointment. I hope there is more on the way.

tktran
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Not terrible, but not great.

I hope to see some better stuff from the Danish ScAR.

Deeply hurt and scarred from the Tymphany take-over, I think the brand could also do with a name change.

Ling Gowa
11-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Did you let your kid design your website? Come on David lets get it together!

dcibel
11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
The website has been updated with proudct information. Looks like a great bunch of drivers. Reasonably flat frequency response, and the flat impedance graph shows a very good motor design. I can't wait to see some distortion measurements and prices!

spock
11-15-2007, 11:11 PM
It looks like your cone curve profile might need some modification......you might also want to try a soft dustcap like the rubber type found in the old seas P17rcy. Adding a little damping glue between the dustcap and cone to help decouple it a bit will also help smooth out the top end.

If the bobbin is aluminum, making it thicker will help increase eddy currents and bring down the top end a bit. If its not aluminum, you might want to go to that.

But mostly it looks like a dustca problem.....too small too lively.

Spock

atalio
11-20-2007, 09:10 PM
David,

I saw the drivers in person at the RMAF Madisound booth ...excellent looks overall, and beautiful cones. They look much more expensive than their selling price. I'm looking forward to purchasing some of these as soon as they're available.

Regarding all the comments about the higher break up modes being problematic, I see those--for the most part--as a sign of a sufficiently stiff cone. The broadness and amplitude of the break up is similar to those of drivers that I've tended to favor, sound quality wise, in the past--for instance, the smaller HDS Exclusives, though they tend to sound a tad "papery". Unlike the Peerless, the 5" SB driver is flat in the critical 2K - 4K range. The coating seems to applied in just the right amount: not too heavy that it would slow and muddy things, and not too light.

There are two things that do bother me about the driver series. (1) The sudden fall-off well below the primary break up region (1.6K in the 5" driver, and all the SB drivers in the series have a similar characteristic). Is this a result of a mismatch of the cone to the surround, flimsier outer rim of the cone, a dust cap problem, or a measurement issue? (2) The series seems to follow the old Scan Speak designs in the sense that the moving mass is *slightly* on the heavy side relative to the motor strength. Peerless, on the other hand, has done a great job in the HDS series of keeping its motor strength in proper proportion to its moving mass (and keeping the cone stiffness high). Perhaps the SB designers feel that this design factor is not quite as important as some of the other factors involved. Comments?

Finally, I am very much looking forward to the day that we'll see more sophisticated cone materials and cone composites. I'm sure you're familiar with Steve Mowry's excellent background articles on sandwich cones, etc. The world needs a Scan Speak type motor married to a better cone. Even a simple carbon fiber cone (like the Audax or Monacor) would be a huge improvement over the paper-based ones. It seems that most drivers with great cones have less than stellar motors, and vice versa! WHY!

PS
I'm also anxiously awaiting a suitable replacement for the now unavailable 4" peerless HDS exclusive, so I hope the 4" version is coming soon!

G-Man
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
One new concept I (and others) would like to see taken to a prototype stage and production would be a planar "woofer", more or less a planar/ribbon driver that could be used for the lowest frequencies, thus possible to achieve reproduction of a full 9 or maybe some day 10 octaves using true ribbon or planar transducers for coherence.

Edp
01-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Both the moderate line and the more expensive line at static display and supplier documented parameters pass the "eyeball" test.

Now time to get them to market, independently used and tested.

briank
01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
SB Acoustics will be shipping the first production drivers the last week in January. We should have them in stock at Madisound by the end of February. The 4", 8" and 15" will ship the following month.

Still no word on the first SCAR drivers.

Thank you for your patience.

Brian

briank
01-25-2008, 03:30 PM
The SB Acoustics 10" and 12" woofers are now in stock at Madisound.

atalio
01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
I didn't realize that the smaller drivers use papyrus fiber cones. Sounds novel, and it should be interesting to listen to.
-atalio

briank
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks to a very generous air shipment from AB Acoustics, all the drivers are now in stock and available from the Madisound shopping cart.

Jed
02-17-2008, 12:14 PM
>
>we will shortly add to the line a 4" and 8" woofer.
>

Will the 8" have a similar motor as your 5 and 6" woofers? I notice the 10 and 12 do not have copper sleeves, and I'm hoping the 8" does for reduced distortion in the midrange.

Thank you,

Jed